Thursday, March 8, 2012

Update: March 8th

Last night at sunset started Purim, which goes through tonight (the 8th).  I have never really celebrated Jewish holidays, but with this one being connected with Esther, I wanted to :) 


For those of you that don't know what Purim is- go read the Book of Esther :)  Ok, I'll give you a short version :)


From movie, "One Night with the King"
Esther, a poor Jewish orphan, is made queen of all of Susa, but keeps hidden her Jewish identity.  I few years pass and Haman, an Agagite (his ancestors were all suppose to be killed by the King of Israel, but the King disobeyed God and didn't kill the king and queen.  The queen, who was pregnant, escaped and vowed that one of her decedents would kill the Jews...)  So, Haman hated the Jewish people.   He made up a sneaky way to tell King Xerxes to 'get rid of' a people that 'caused problems'.   The King gave Haman power to do what he wanted.  When the annihilation of the Jews came to Mordecai's attentions (Mordecai is Esther's uncle, who took her in when she became orphaned), he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and ashes and wept and went through the city.  He went as far as the Kings gate (no one was allowed past the gate in sackcloth).   Esther heard about him and sent him a message, he responded after he told her what had happened, "...Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, “Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.” Mordecai then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him."
                 If you want to watch a great movie about 
            Esther, "One Night with the King" is amazing!!
(Esther 4:13-17)
As you know, Esther went before the King, asked him and Haman to a banquet, twice; then spoke her request.  Haman was hung and the Jewish people were saved!  So, to remember for generations to come, how God had used a poor Jewish orphan, who became queen for such a time and saved the whole Jewish people! 


Praise and Prayer:
  • Jesus is worth it all!
  • The Lord has provided so much for me!  I received $500 in the mail yesterday!
  • A friend paid for me airfare home! 
  • One week away from leaving for Houston!  I don't quite feel ready...
  • Physical health and healing; my knee isn't feeling 100%


Thank you for all your prayers!  I can't believe that I am only a week away from travel!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment